Friday, February 11, 2011

Kristen Duke - Say NO to Auto

Do you have a fancy camera and don't know what to do with it??  I look around storytime/activities/family gatherings/etc and it seems like SLR cameras are all the rage - yet when I see them, everyone is shooting on the green auto square - drive me crazy!  Wake up people!  You paid big bucks for a camera, and if you have it on the green square you might as well be using a pocket-size point and shoot.  So anyways, push yourself to learn a little.  I've done a few photography tip posts (a good place to start is HERE) - I'm no pro, but it's fun to share what I know.

Now speaking of pros, Kristen Duke really is one.  And she just put out an ebook, Say NO! to Auto (catchy title, right?!?)

Kristen gave me the opportunity to review her Ebook.  Here's some thoughts:

--3 Basic Concepts - not overload - - - when I first wanted to learn my camera I tried to look stuff up online and I checked out a few books from the library - talk about information overload! I was SO turned off to the mounds of stuff I didn't understand.  Kristen's ebook is basic and not overwhelming - it makes you want to try getting off of auto, instead of scaring you away.

--Great format! - - - this book comes in a pile of 4x6 pictures, so you can just upload them to Walmart and print out your book for super cheap, then either bind it or just hook a ring in the corner or even slide them into one of those mini photo albums.  I LOVE that.  The size travels well in your camera bag, and if it came in regular page size, those can cost a ton to print in color, etc.  Prints of 4x6s are super cheap. There are 18 pages. Genius.

--Picture Samples - - - with photography, visual learning is a must.  The book has a bunch of sample pictures that show what settings were used in each picture - it also links different lighting situations to certain pictures (shows examples of shady pictures, it's settings, etc)

--Challenge - - - the book ends with an "assignment" so it makes you use your new-found knowledge.

The ebook is only $10.  Seems like a steal. Kristen sells it on the top of the sidebar of her blog, Kristen Duke Photography, and you can find more information HERE.


I can't wait to see if she comes out with an advanced version....

No comments:

Post a Comment